MZ-1P01 printer / plotter
The elements of the plotter.
Inserting and removing paper
- Remove the cover.
- Cut paper straight if necessary and put it into the paper feed supply at the reverse side of the plotter ( see the following picture ). Make sure that the paper doesn’t knit thereby.
Use the paper feed key until the paper is approx. 3 to 5 mm over the outlet.
- Put the paper shaft unit into the web and lock it carefully into the paper holders ( inserting and removing the paper shaft unit is a problem for me: Sometimes a paper holder gets broken… 😉
Remount the printer cover whereby the paper is to place through the aperture of this cover. That’s all.
To remove the paper out off the plotter, cut the paper at the entrance of the paper feed supply and remove the remaining paper in the plotter by operating the paper feed key.
Don’t try to pull the paper backwards out off the plotter. This can destroy mechanical parts of the plotter, I hardly know – I killed a plotter by this… 🙁
Use specified roll paper only: MZ-6P05 and keep it at a moistureless place. Never use a different one than the prescribed paper.
The paper length may amount between 23 and 25 meters, the max. role diameter may 50mm amount to ( width of a role 114mm; paper about 0.1mm ). With larger diameters a line feed is no longer ensured correctly. The result is a bad print quality.
Pen exchange method
- Remove the cover of the plotter.
- Operate the PEN CHANGE button by a normal ball-point pen, not plotter’s ball-point pen. Thus the print head moves to the right.
- When the slider is at the right handside, push the pen release lever. At the same time put a finger on the ball-point pen, so that it can’t fall after ejecting into the plotter.
- To install the pen, push the tip of the pen through the ring of the return spring in the first place, then push into the holder. Upon completion, ensure that the tip of the pen is engaged with the hole of the pen returning spring.
- If colour change is done when the pen is disengaged from the hole, it may cause improper rotation of the rotary holder as the slider makes contact with the pen. Do not try to rotate the rotary holder by hand when installing the pen during replacement of the pens ( ever use the pen change button for inserting the next ball-point pen ! ).
- Press the pen release lever again, in order to turn the next ball-point pen upward.
- Exchange all ball-point pens at the same way. Occurred, operate the RESET key by a normal ball-point pen. The plotter is set thereby in its readiness status ( ready condition ).
- By the basic instruction TEST or by the monitor command P&T should be checked now, whether all ball-point pens operate correctly.
The ink can smear if the paper becomes wet, because the ball-point pens writes with water-soluble ink. Therefore, treat the paper carefully.
Caution: After use, remove the ball-point pens from the printer and cap them to prevent their drying. When the printer is used after it has been stopped for a while, execute PRINT/P CHR$(4) to check the quality of printing.
Do not touch the slider unit ( pen holder ), except when mounting or removing the pens and ensure it does not rotate.
Use only original ball-point pens type EA-850B ( 4 pieces black ) or type EA-850C ( one at a time of black, blue, green, and red ).
Because all the pens are very rare to get, I put their dimensions here in mm. May be this is a help? May be, this will also help: Try this link:
Download the 2nd example ( ZIP, 1 Kb ).
Installing the color plotter MZ-1P01
All models except MZ-731
- Be sure that the MZ-700 and its peripheral units are turned off before connecting the printer to the computer.
- Remove the printer dummy cover ( MZ-711, MZ-721 ) by removing its two screws at the computer rear.
- Set the printer selector switch on the motherboard to the INT position ( see the following pictures ).
- Connect the two cables into the appropriate sockets of the motherboard. Consider the notches ( see the following picture ).
- Mount the plotter with the screws remained by removing the printer dummy cover. Before tightening, it must be guaranteed that no cable was gotten caught between the plotter and both housings ( see picture above ).
Connecting an external printer
You can attach the printer MZ-80P5(K) of the MZ-80K by a special cable connection ( option ) without a special interface card to the MZ-700.
For the use of an external printer the printer selector switch must be in the position “EXT ” ( see pictures above ). Therefore, color plotter and external printer can be used not at the same time.
If programs output statements for the color plotter to the external printer, the not available control characters will be printed.
Please take a kindly note of my Centronics interface to use a Centronics printer with your MZ-700.
Plotter Self Test
Written by Paul Trainer / Fred White SUC/UK
Source: SUC-magazine July 1992, Volume 12, Number 2, p. 52
Fred White tells us that there is a self test for the plotter. No doubt others have stumbled across this feature, but it‘s a new one to me. All you have to do is switch off, unplug the plotter from the main board, but leaving the power plug connected. Whilst holding the paper feed button, switch on and hey presto the plotter will print all the characters stored in its brain.